Monday, October 22, 2018

heritage temple in sri lanka: About

heritage temple in sri lanka: About: You have presented these facts with a heartfelt and trustworthy glimpse of the heritage of the World Heritage. Data included here are requ...

Monday, September 24, 2018

                                  Degaldoruwa tempel




Degaldoruwa Raja Maha Vihara is an ancient Buddhist rock tempel situated in Amunugama, Kandy, Sri Lanka. 
Details relating to the construction of the temple and the royal land grant are contained on the Degaldoruwa Tamba Sannasa. Following the temples completion Rajadhi Rajasinghe placed the Temple in the custody of a learned monk, Moratota Dhammakkanda Maha Nayaka Thera 1734-1811, who was also Rajadhi Rajasingha's teacher and chief advisor.
It is famous for its Kandyan Era Frescoes. The cave itself was said to have been excavated out of a rock which rises to a height of approximately40 ft 12.3 m and shelters the shrine room and entrance chamber. 





Local folklore details that the origins of the temple relate to a time when a farmer investigated a gap between two large boulders near his village and discovered a pile of golden sickles. 
The farmer then too one of the sickles and used it to harvest his crops, replacing it in the evening when he returned home. The terrified farmer ran back to his fields and recovered the sickle placing it back into the gap between the boulders.
 The guardian then sealed the opening by fusing the two boulders together.
The other members of the village became aware of this event and informed the King Kirti Sri Rajasinha, who instructed them to clear the cave and erect a temple there. 
Construction of the temple was commenced in 1771 during the reign of King Kirti Sri Rajasinha 1747-1782 by his younger brother, Rajadhi Rajasinha and completed by Rajadhi Rajasinha after he ascended to the throne.
On the final day of harvesting the farmer took two sickles however in the evening he only replaced one of the sickles back on the pile. 
He continued to do this every morning, each time returning the sickle at the end of the day.
The treasure's guardian upon discovering that one of the sickles was missing confronted the farmer and demanded he return it immediately.



more details https://bit.ly/2Nx5vYF

Monday, July 4, 2016

"Dambulla cave temple"

                                       

                     "Dambulla cave temple"

Dambulla cave temple (Tamil: Tampuḷḷai Poṟkōvil Sinhalese: Dam̆būlū Len Vihāraya, ) also known as the Golden Temple of Dambulla is a World Heritage Site "1991" in Sri Lanka, situated in the central part of the country. This site is situated 148 kilometers east of Colombo and 72 kilometers north of kandy.
 There are a total of 153 Buddha statues, three statues of Sri Lankan kings and four statues of gods and goddesses. The latter include Vishnu and the Ganesha. The murals cover an area of  23,000 sq ft ( 2,100 square meters) . Depictions on the walls of the caves include the temptation by the demon Mara, and Buddha's first sermon.
Prehistoric Sri Lankans would have lived in these cave complexes before the arrival of Buddhism in Sri Lanka as there are burial sites with human skeletons about 2700 years old in this area, at Ibbankatuwa near the Dambulla cave complexes.

 It is the largest and best-preserved cave temple complex in Sri Lanka. The rock towers 160 m over the surrounding plains.There are more than 80 documented caves in the surrounding area. Major attractions are spread over five caves, which contain statues and paintings. These paintings and statues are related to Gautama Buddha and his life.

                                                          Dambulla cave templehttps://heritagetemplesrilanka.blogspot.com

This temple complex dates back to the first century. It has five caves under a vast overhanging rock, carved with a drip line to keep the interiors dry.the Dambulla cave monastery is still functional and remains the best-preserved ancient edifice in Sri Lanka. This complex dates from the third and second centuries, when it was already established as one of the largest and most import monasteries.

Kelaniya Raja Maha Vihara

                                         

                              Historical and Cultural

Kelaniya is a suburb of Colombo city in Western Province, Sri Lanka.Kelaniya "Kalyani" is mentioned in Ramayana and in the Buddhist chronicle,It is known for the Buddhist temple built on the banks of the Kelani River, which runs through the suburb. It is also a religious center for veneration of the figure Vibhishana. the Mahawansa which states that the Gautama Buddha "5th century BC" visited the place, after which the dageaba of the temple was built
.Sri Lankan Buddhists believe that the Buddha visited Kelaniya in order to quell a quarrel between two Nāga leaders of two warring factions: Chulodara and Mahodara.They were quarrelling over a jewel-encrusted throne.
Kelaniya Raja Maha Vihara has become famous because of the beautiful paintings and sculpture by Solias Mendis depicting various events in the history of Sri Lanka. Thousands of Buddhists come to see the Buddhist pageant of Kelaniya, popularly referred to as Duruthu Maha Perahera of Kelaniya in the month of January every year.
                                                 According to Ramayana, After King Ravana’s death, Vibeeshana was coroneted as King of Lanka by Lakshmana at Kelaniya. There are murals enshrined outside the Buddhist temple depicting the crowning of Vibeeshana.
 After the Buddha showed them the futility of their quarrel they converted to Buddhism and together offered the throne to the Buddha. It is believed that the Dageaba seen today was built with the throne as a relic inside.                                 
The reason Lakshmana crowned Vibeeshana, was because Rama had to return to India as he had to continue his self-exile of 14 years to honour the commitment to his father, King Dasarath of Ayodhya.
The Kelani River is mentioned in the Valmiki Ramayana and Vibeeshana palace was said to be on the banks of this river. 
                            Kelaniya Raja Maha Viharaya
The Kelaniya Raja Maha Vihara or Kelaniya Temple is a Buddhist temple in Kelaniya, Sri Lanka, seven miles from Colombo. The Chief Incumbent is Venerable Professor Kollupitiye Mahinda Sangharakkhitha Thera.
 Kelaniya Raja Maha Viharaya

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Polonnaruwa

                                          " polonnaruwa"

The second most ancient of Sri Lanka's kingdoms, Polonnaruwa was first declared the capital city by King Vijayabahu I, who defeated Chola invaders in 1070 to reunite the country once more under a local leader.


 Hence, irrigation systems that are far superior to those of the Anuradhapura Age were constructed during Parakramabahu's reign - systems which to this day supply the water necessary for paddy cultivation during the scorching dry season in the east of the country. The greatest of these systems is the Parakrama Samudra or the Sea of Parakrama.


 It is of such a width that it is impossible to stand upon one shore and view the other side. It also encircles the main city like a ribbon, being both a moat against intruders and the lifeline of the people in times of peace. The Kingdom of Polonnaruwa was completely self-sufficient during King Parakramabahu's reign.


With the exception of his immediate successor, Nissankamalla I, all other monarchs of Polonnaruwa were slightly weak-willed and rather prone to picking fights within their own court.While Vijayabahu's victory and shifting of kingdoms to the more strategic Polonnaruwa is considered significant, the real "Hero of Polonnaruwa" of the history books is actually Parakramabahu I.


 It was his reign that is considered the Golden Age of Polonnaruwa. Trade and agriculture flourished under the patronage of the king, who was so adamant that no drop of water falling from the heavens was to be wasted and each was to be used toward the development of the land.



They also went on to form more intimate matrimonial alliances with stronger South Indian kingdoms until these matrimonial links superseded the local royal lineage. This prompted an invasion by the Aryacakravarti dynasty King Kalinga Magha in 1214, who founded the Jaffna kingdom  Local power passed into the hands of a Pandyan dynasty king following the Jaffna kingdom invasion of Lanka in 1284, who moved their capital to Dambadeniya.



 Polonnaruwa was also called Jananathamangalam during this brief period under the Pandya.


Polonnaruwa was the second capital of Sri Lanka after the destruction of Anuradhapura in 993. It comprises, besides the Brahmanic monuments built by the Cholas, the monumental ruins of the fabulous garden-city created by Parakramabahu I in the 12th century.Po?onnaruwa (Sinhalese Po?onnaruwa or Pu?attipura, Tamil Pola??a?uvai or Pu?atti nakaram) is the main town of Polonnaruwa District in North Central Province, Sri Lanka. Kaduruwela area is the Polonnaruwa New Town and the other part of Polonnaruwa remains as the royal ancient city of the Kingdom of Polonnaruwa.


Currently the new Polonnaruwa is under going a major development project known as the "Awakening of Polonnaruwa" under the concept of President Maithripala Sirisena. It envisions the development of all sectors in Polonnaruwa including roads, electricity, agriculture, education, health and environment will be developed comprehensively.

The Ancient City of Polonnaruwa has been declared a World Heritage Site.


  • Pothugal viharaya
  • Pabalu viharaya
  • Rankoth viharaya
  • Gal viharaya
  • Thivanka image house
  • Kiri viharaya
  • Menik viharaya
  • Lankathilaka                                                                             

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Anuradhapura

The Anuradhapura Kingdom  named for its capital city, was the first established kingdom in ancient Sri Lanka. Nonetheless, the king of Anuradhapura was seen as the supreme ruler of the country throughout the Anuradhapura period. Buddhism played a strong role in the Anuradhapura period, influencing its culture, laws, and methods of governance.

 Society and culture were revolutionized when the faith was introduced during the reign of King Devanampiya Tissa; this cultural change was further strengthened by the arrival of the Tooth Relic of the Buddha in Sri Lanka and the patronage extended by her rulers. Founded by King Pandukabhaya in  the kingdom's authority extended throughout the country, although several independent areas emergedfrom time to time, which grew more numerous towards the end of the kingdom.


Because the kingdom was largely based on agriculture, the construction of irrigation works was a major achievement of the Anuradhapura Kingdom, ensuring water supply in the dry zone and helping the country grow mostly self-sufficient. Several kings, most notably Vasabha and Mahasena, built large reservoirs and canals, which created a vast and complex irrigation network in the Rajarata area throughout the Anuradhapura period. These constructions are an indication of the advanced technical and engineering skills used to create them. The famous paintings and structures at Sigiriya; the Ruwanwelisaya, Jetavana stupas, and other large stupas; large buildings like the Lovamahapaya; and religious works (like the numerous Buddha statues) are landmarks demonstrating the Anuradhapura period's advancement in sculpting.


Invasions from South India were a constant threat throughout the Anuradhapura period. Rulers such as Dutthagamani, Valagamba, and Dhatusena are noted for defeating the South Indians and regaining control of the kingdom. Other rulers who are notable for military achievements include Gajabahu I, who launched an invasion against the invaders, and Sena II, who sent his armies to assist a Pandyan prince.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Sri dalada maligawa [kandy]

Sri Dalada Maligawa or the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic is a Buddhist temple in the city of Kandy, Sri Lanka. It is located in the royal palace complex of the former Kingdom of Kandy, which houses the relic of the tooth of the Buddha.

Bhikkhus of the two chapters of Malwatte and Asgiriya conduct daily worship in the inner chamber of the temple. Rituals are performed three times daily: at dawn, at noon and in the evenings. On Wednesdays there is a symbolic bathing of the relic with an herbal preparation made from scented water and fragrant flowers called Nanumura Mangallaya. This holy water is believed to contain healing powers and is distributed among those present.
Since ancient times, the relic has played an important role in local politics because it is believed that whoever holds the relic holds the governance of the country. Kandy was the last capital of the Sri Lankan kings and is a World Heritage Site mainly due to the temple.
dalada maligawa


heritage temple in sri lanka: About

heritage temple in sri lanka: About : You have presented these facts with a heartfelt and trustworthy glimpse of the heritage of the World H...